Monday, October 4, 2010

Yucatan 1986: Rain Tastes Like Melted Chocolate

Slowly –
I remember who we truly are, 
and that discovery requires 
intention and desire,
to fuel our minds, 
bodies and spirits.

I align within.
My common unity
aligns my humanity.
I align with our community 
of humanity.

My life expands 
after weeks of conversation,
swimming with brilliant fish,
climbing wet forest staircases,
and accidental drives 
into war zones in Central America.

The soldiers of various armies, 
funded by various powers, 
secure the borders 
that keep me 
from moving further.

I am warned to be careful 
of men with guns,
by an Elder 
who lives here
deep within the Mayan jungle.

Surrounded by her sounds, 
and company of chickens, 
trees, flowers and plants -
she shelters me.
 
Her warm sweet-toothed smile,
contributes to me
as I contribute
to this rain forest tribe
by baking dessert.

Over time, 
I fill the rain forest 
with the healing smell 
of fresh cocoa cake rising.

I am taught to cure all 
by brewing teas, 
from the bark of this community, 
the tender trees, helpful herbs 
and friendly flowers.

In my mind’s eye 
the image of the unknown, 
now holds enough faith
to create the trust 
needed to stabilize and focus 
my power of purpose.

I am my intention 
to sense my choices
and connection to my journey.

I am my desire to comprehend 
gravity, truth, time, space
uniqueness and oneness.

I ground maize into a paste 
that binds 
and nourishes all matter.

I knead more dough, 
for flat corn bread 
and small tortillas.

I smell the heat of the fire 
transforming the coals 
ready for cooking.

The sound of the soldiers 
maneuvering 
through the forest 
ripples my nerves
and disturbs the surface 
of the well-drawn water 
still asleep in its bucket.

Reaching 
into my canvas bag 
I pull 
out and unroll 
a piece of cotton cloth,
within it 
I have separated 
and stored, 
a vast army 
of chilies and spices.

Gathered from the women 
I have met in my travels, 
these ingredients 
are my equivalent 
to an alchemist’s store 
of botanical elixirs.

I dip my finger 
into the wooden bowls 
laid out in front 
and to the side of me.

My touch drips 
from the organics.
I taste all aspects 
of my humanity 
and my creations -
the elements that make
the wholeness of my story.

The vast ingredients 
of my experiences 
that fill color into my blanks,
in order to expand 
the worldview 
of my smaller picture.

It starts to rain, 
so clean and fresh 
that my cellular ecology 
morphs into passion.

My humility spontaneously creates 
an alchemical chain reaction
of humid-drops that merge 
with the wet-steam of my baking 
until the surrounding rain 
tastes like melted chocolate. 

 ~~ Other People's Fingerprints ~~ 
In 1935 Octavio Paz wrote;
 “… from dream to vigil,
from desire to act
you needed only a step 
and that taken without effort,
the insects then 
were jewels who were alive
the heat lay down to rest 
at the edge of the pool
rain was the light hair 
of a willow-tree
there was a tree growing 
within your hand
and as it grew 
it sang laughed prophesied
it cast the spells 
that cover space with wings
there were simple miracles called birds
everything belonged to everyone