Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Yucatan 1986: The Veil In Front Of My Eyes Thins

The rain sweetens the annatto seeds 
that I grind into red achiote paste.
My fingers redden wet from weather.
I rub paste onto a freshly sacrificed fish.

Ready for baking 
I wrap the fish 
in young green banana leaves, 
which I picked this morning.

The grey ash falls away, 
as I poke the coals to see 
if they will reveal 
their internal glow.

I lay the fish 
next to the baked bread 
keeping ready-to-eat-warm 
underneath the hot ash.

I have met many wise women in Mexico.
They gifted me their family secrets 
of cooking dishes and baking sweets -
curing through healing plants and spices.

I safeguard 
the art of curanderismo, 
respect their secrets 
when I cook the sacred recipes.

I brought in my canvas bag
some marzipan from the city of Puebla,
famous for pastry legacy dating from 
19th century French presence in Mexico.

I fell in love with Puebla's signature dish,
Mole Poblano a sauce made rich
from grinding chiles, nuts, 
herbs, spices and chocolate.

For my traveling herbal bag,
I carry renowned chocolate of Oaxaca.
At neighborhood mills people 
grind cocoas beans into atoles.

As the rain pours down faster, 
the wise Mayan curandera, 
comes out of her jungle home. 
smiling her sweet-toothed smile.

She has been making some tea 
to heal her cousin’s arthritis.
Cousin's constant fear penetrated 
wet-cold into the dry-warmth of his bones.

My friend guides me with her eyes 
to notice the fleeting shadows -
the soldiers are getting closer
and potentially may threaten our meal.

She motions with her hands 
for me to look behind me,
in hammocks slung between trees,
are soldiers sleeping.

The smell of our food cooking, 
must have lured 
the soldiering men 
from the jungle hideout.

The chocolate rain 
is now tasting 
both salty and smoky 
from aromatic wood burning.

The soldiers want to be fed,
so my friend brews a sedative, 
lavender tea to keep these warriors 
docile and friendly.

I make more chocolate cake,
adding the relaxants of yerba buena 
spearmint and lemongrass, 
which calm down soldiers' warring nerves.

I am alive 
swimming in now, 
exactly where I am to be, 
to create my life point.

I feel my body, 
my skin suit 
full of watery biology, 
walking the planet in gravity.

Feeling life’s miracles, 
as a spiritual being, 
in a soulful 
physical form.

On this edge 
of my next step, 
I pace out the space 
that contains me.

I move my Self, 
beyond the open window, 
even if I do not yet see 
the entire view.

I see the nature, 
of my true Self, 
and remember,
my place of origin.

I step into the game 
of free choice,
and pray the veil in front 
of my eyes will thin.

~~ Other People's Fingerprints ~~
Sometime somewhere Serge Kahili King wrote,
“… shamans recognize no hierarchy 
or authority in matters of the mind;
if ever a group of people 
could be said to follow a system 
of spiritual democracy,
it would be the shamans of the world.”