Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Beijing 1989: Enough On That Day

The lightning smelled sweet as it repeatedly struck the city too close to the ground.
This sky and anything that nature throws out of it belongs to Beijing.
Exfoliate your life, strike a match but do not smoke.
Motion makes any road seem right, described James Dean –
one of the cultural icons of Hollywood, who died young driving too fast.
He attempted to love what he might become in the future,
but despised who he was in the past and present.

Childhood regrets, youthful idealism, mid life capitalist crisis of rule –
all safety issues eventually form a block, an unsafe springboard
from which we can hurl our bodies into air –
air that changes form mid suspension,
into a cunning father holding you while you gasp for care.

The governing laws of dynamics shift
to reveal gaps in our realities of time, space and gravity –
the breach once realized then creates a disparity that moves
the ground out from under, so all beneath loses focus and alters horizons.

I am held motionless cupped in the hand of motion,
the air of my holding pattern smells foul during suspension –
as times’ embrace holds me still to ponder
the other aspects of myself I do not see when I am in motion.

The politics of navigating the arch of my back,
direction of my eye line, point of my toes,
who to reach my hand out to while I tread, the water below, or sky above.
Am I rising or because of my fear I only notice that I am falling?
What rules? Whose rules? Who rules? Who created the shell?
Who rules the egg, the external forces of the internal yolk or transparent whites –
the great swirling energetic mystery of intellect, passion, mind and heart.

The Wind’s contractions smell bad like the lioness that roared at the Beijing zoo,
stale breath of one enslaved inside a concrete jungle jail –
old and tired from chasing the rats in a race around in circles inside a walled box,
still regretting the decision made on the day she was ensnared –
trapped by the politics of her choices, results, intensions and desires –
perhaps her hungry gut was growling and the fresh meat offered was enough on that day.


~~ Other People's Fingerprints ~~
During the Warring States Period, 4th century Zhuangzi wrote;
“By the time it came to the edge of the forest
the stream has grown-up so that it was almost a river,
and being grown-up it did not run and jump and sparkle along
as it used to do when it was younger, but moved more slowly.
For it knew now where it was going and it said to itself,
“There is no hurry we shall get there some day.”

During the Zhou Dynasty, Laozi (Li Er 李耳)wrote,
Mastering others is strength.
Mastering yourself is true power."

June 5th, 2014 Karin Lisa Atkinson wrote;
"To live one must for.give to for.get, 
but always re.member memories 
and drink them in whole 
as wisdom for the soul."





Zijinshan Purple Mountain Temple, 

Nanjing, China 1990